The recommended composition of quadrivalent influenza vaccine for Australia in 2018 introduces a new A (H3N2) like virus strain when compared to the composition of the trivalent and quadrivalent vaccines for Australia in 2017.
In 2018 there will only be Quadrivalent Influenza Vaccines available in Australia. This will be the first time that the Trivalent Vaccine will not be available to the Australian market (either public or private)
The quadrivalent influenza vaccine components for the Australian 2018 influenza season will contain the following: 1
- An A/Michigan/45/2015 (H1N1) pdm09 - like virus
- An A/Singapore/INFIMH-16-0019/2016 (H3N2) - like virus;
- A B/Brisbane/60/2008 - like virus (belonging to the Victoria lineage)
- A B/Phuket/3073/2013-like virus
Vaccination is your best defence as recommended by the World Health Organisation 21. Australian Government, Dept Health and Ageing, Therapeutic Goods Administration. AIVC recommendations for the composition of influenza vaccine for Australia in 2018. Found at: http://www.tga.gov.au/aivc-recommendations-composition-influenza-vaccine-australia-2018 (Accessed 13 Oct 2018).
2. World Health Organisation Influenza factsheet No. 211, April 2009. Accessed 9 October 2014.